Thursday, August 25, 2011

Civil War Surgery

Sorry to be such a lameass correspondent. I was traveling -- road trip through Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee and Va -- and then to the beach and then camping and then the hospital. Appendix is gone and I'm happy about it, I really am, and I hope it will be happy wherever it goes and I don't bear a grudge in the least. I just want us both to be happy now. But I didn't need the pain. It was too much. Sometimes you just have to let go, even if it is a bodily organ. Just tell yourself it's vestigial, and make that clean cut.

I have a bunch of stuff I'm writing about civil war sites in Mississippi and Tennessee. Very haunted.

If you're in Annapolis, I'm giving a reading Friday at 6:30. Details here. It's an open reading afterward--why not? It's an easy crowd, believe me. They're all hopped up on those oversize chocolate chip cookies.

1 comment:

mark said...

Well, I'd love to be there but as you can guess, not possible. These days I am holding forth about both the Revolutionary and Civil Wars, and events in those general time periods. It's been pretty heady stuff.

Glad to see you're back. The organ that has been giving me some trouble can't be seen as vestigal a'tall - unless we're being entirely metaphysical. Only problem is, to test out that theory of how I would be without that organ... well, I'd have to die. And I'm not ready to do that yet.

Hope the reading was stellar!