Thursday, January 3, 2008

Up is Easier


I'm still running. It still hurts. It hurts more going downhill. I need to find an all-uphill course.

My brother got a calf injury recently and says it hurts more going downstairs. He said he's going to the M.C. Escher Rehabilitation Facility, where all the stairs go up.

This just over from our Mad Man friend: 100 Best Indie blah blah of all time... What a lad list. PJ? Minutemen?

"Which ones do you own?" he asks. All my vinyl went to a good home long ago. I can tell you which ones are maybe not the best, but which ones mattered most to me: DKs, Fresh Fruit (got me thru 20-hour shifts working for an alcoholic harasser, playing it in my head, because then you weren't allowed to listen to music at your desk); Half-Jap, Greatest Hits (young love); Eno, Another Green World (listened to Eno in labor); Bloody Valentine, Loveless (best. sex. music. ever.); Pavement, Slanted and Enchanted (brought me back to life in Miami).

What about you? I don't care what's the best. I want to know what it meant to you.

Oh, and, happy Tolkien's birthday.

No comments: